Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Damon's Birds for the Weeks of September 1 - September 30

Yep, we've not been posting weekly updates, but here is a monthly one! And while new birds haven't been coming fast and heavy like in the spring, I still did pretty damn well.

One thing I did do was I started to use eBird more. Like every single time I go birding. Ever since I got the BirdLog app working (we both will review it soon enough) I have found it easier to use that to log my birds than to keep sparse and inconsistent notes in my notebook. It also helped me figure out that I forgot to write down a bird in my list book, but an hour or so later of double checking (yes, I wasn't going to stop until I figured it out) and I noticed that while I mention it in my post about Nummy Island, I don't actually record Clapper Rail in my list of birds for the year. Yay, free bird!

One thing I did do the past week is that I started to go birding in Taylor Arboretum more. Now, Tyler Arboretum is much more well known and I've been a member ever since I moved here. Nice place that is big and has a large education part to it and some bird walks which I've done once before. Taylor Arboretum is different in that it is pretty much just 30 acres of forest and meadow with paths through it. It is also less than a mile from my house. So, after my youngest went down for his nap last week I jumped over to The Tay for a couple hours of birding.

And, boy am I glad I did. I picked up three new species, including a rarity in the Connecticut Warbler. I only saw one, and I only saw it one day, but there have been scattered reports of them trickling in from the surrounding counties too, but not much in the past couple days. I got really lucky. Another on my list that is a rarity (according to eBird submissions) was the Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, which I am glad I saw because it seemed like I was the only person that is a regular Philly-area birder that hadn't seen it. Currently I feel that way about the Sora.

183; Common Nighthawk; 9/2/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
184; Yellow-bellied Flycatcher; 9/7/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
185; Broad-winged Hawk; 9/14/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
186; Blue-headed Vireo; 9/23/13; Taylor Arboretum; Wallingford, PA
187; Chestnut-sided Warbler; 9/24/13; Taylor Arboretum; Wallingford, PA
188; Connecticut Warbler; 9/24/13; Taylor Arboretum; Wallingford, PA
189; Lincoln's Sparrow; 9/29/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
190; Clapper Rail; 8/7/13; Nummy Island; Near Stone Harbor, NJ. *Forgot to enter it

No comments:

Post a Comment