Monday, June 17, 2013

Damon's Birds for the Week of June 9 - June 15

After the type of week Paul had last week, I knew I had to do something to kick myself back into competition, so this week I took a quick trip down to south Florida to pick up a bunch of birds. Oh, wait, no, I still am stuck in the Mid-Atlantic, but at least I got down to Maryland to mix it up!

I was feeling good too, because just from a small stroll around the neighborhood and my drive down to Maryland I saw 29 species of birds. Note, I wasn't actually birding, just going around my neighborhood and driving on the highways. Granted, none of them were new, but there were some oddities of the list like me not seeing any Red-tailed Hawks on my trip (but dozens of Osprey) and my brother questioning my Tree Swallow identification in the twilight of the Eastern Shore of Maryland (he would not write it down in my book).

I'll write more about my trip later in the week, but when I got back I did my normal Saturday morning hike around Heinz Wildlife Refuge (note: that link was messed up when I put it up, but was working before so we'll see if I have to change it eventually). There wasn't any official birding group going out, but I didn't stick around very long even if there was, and I was back home by 8:30 with only a couple hours of birding and no new birds. Granted, I saw lots of Baltimore Orioles and a couple Orchard Orioles plus the usual (and still neat) birds, but I wasn't feeling well and proceeded to take a couple hour nap upon getting home. Watch me have missed some good birds!

This week marks the official of my kids summer vacation. Does that mean I get less time birding because of them, or more time birding because I can slip out during the weekday and not have to worry about letting them sleep in?

153; Ring-necked Duck; 6/15/13; Sandy Point State Park; Annapolis, MD

No comments:

Post a Comment