Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Damon's Birds for the Week of May 12 - May 19

Whew, what a week! I finally got my computer up and running, I totally finished moving by clearing out the straggler boxes from my old rental place (I am NEVER moving again), worked a bunch, and actually got some birding in on Saturday. And, oh, it was a damn good day for birding.

I was lucky, though, because while I was working this week I happened to spot a pair of gulls fly overheard and trained my binoculars on them and they were Laughing Gulls. Not even an hour later, I saw another couple of gulls flying overhead and they were Herring Gulls. Score! Now, that may seem like no big deal, but those were not only the only gulls I saw that day (2 laughing 3 herring), but the only gulls I've seen all week, and they both happen to not be on my list. Yeah, yeah, there is no doubt I would get both of those gulls easily eventually, but any new birds I can get while I am working is just gravy.

So after a long week of working and finishing moving, I took a Saturday trip over to Heinz Wildlife Refuge as I often do, but this time I was packed with another tool to help me bird. Earlier in the week I bought an iPhone app for birding (I'll review it later) because it was on sale, and though my default is to look things up in my Sibley field guide, it is nice to have another resource, especially one that has bird songs. Oh yeah, all week I've been listening to some songs just to try to get them in my head (they aren't sticking yet) and to entertain my children. But the best use of them is to match songs you hear in the field.

That came useful when I saw a flycatcher perch in a tree.  Damn flycatchers all look the same, but this one sang! Yay! I got out my phone and listened to the flycatcher songs and it was a perfect match for an Acadian Flycatcher! Non e niente male!

Since I get there early, I had a few hours of solo birding before I could find a group, and during that time I picked up lots of warblers (I saw a total of 16 that day, not all new) including Magnolia, Yellow-throated, and Bay-breasted. Oh, the Bay-breasted was amazing male that flew right to the end of a clearing on the edge of a tree and sat there in the open and preened itself. It was showing off!

I eventually grouped up with one of the birding groups; a bunch of nice people and good birders that I enjoyed being around (that is not a given with other birders though). More eyes are better when looking for warblers!

During that time I was talking about how I hadn't seen a Ruby-crowned Kinglet yet this year, but lamented that it was probably too late and I'd have to wait until winter to find a bird that should have already been on my list. Except, while walking later a small bird flew across the path and landed on a tree. Another warbler? Nope, it was a freaking Ruby-crowned Kinglet female! This wasn't just wishful thinking either, since a bunch of us saw it and identified it.

It was a good day for warblers and a good day for everything. I know it won't be like this every week in the spring and summer, but I'm going to just enjoy the amazing diversity of birds coming through this time of year. Hell, I even made up some ground against Paul (who keeps on getting birds). I'm not talking about his end of the year trip.

-122; Laughing Gull; 5/12/13; DuPont Environmental Education Center; Wilmington, DE
-123; Herring Gull; 5/12/13; DuPont Environmental Education Center; Wilmington, DE
-124; Acadian Flycatcher; 5/17/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
-125; Yellow-throated Wabler; 5/17/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
-126; Forster's Tern; 5/17/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
-127; Magnolia Warbler; 5/17/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
-128; Bay-breasted Warbler; 5/17/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
-129; Red-eyed Vireo; 5/17/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
-130; Black-throated Green Warbler; 5/17/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
-131; Canada Warbler; 5/17/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
-132; Cedar Waxwing; 5/17/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
-133; Wilson's Warbler; 5/17/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
-134; Ruby-crowned Kinglet; 5/17/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
-135; Swainson's Thrush; 5/17/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
-136;  Northern Waterthrush; 5/17/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA

No comments:

Post a Comment