Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Week 20 Paul's Update (Another week- Another bird)

The birding continued this week with 11 new species added to my list, with two of these birds seen at Long Point Provincial Park (on the eastern end of Lake Erie's north shore). We drove there on our way home from Point Pelee and packed a lunch as we planned to spend a couple hours looking for birds. The birds were there and it seems like a nice enough place, but maybe next time we can choose a day without the gale force winds and perhaps a bit warmer than 45dF? I didn't seem to notice (what with trees full of warblers), but everyone else was complaining about being cold so all I picked up there was the Bank Swallow and the Black-Throated Green Warbler (quite a mouthful, I know).

Some of my other birds came during mid-week lunch time birding. I made a quick trip to the Lakefield Sewage Lagoons (who doesn't go to sewage lagoons at lunchtime?) and was rewarded with the Black Tern and Bobolink. And though I knew they would be there, it was still really exciting to see them. The Cliff Swallow was seen during a short lunchtime walk.

The last batch of birds was from an early Saturday morning bird outing to Darlington Provincial Park. This park sits next to the Second Marsh, which I have written about several times, and is near the Darlington Nuclear Power Plant. Obviously a great place to see birds and we did. Two shorebirds (see photo below for one of them!) and three "blue" birds: the Indigo Bunting, the Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher, and the Eastern Bluebird. Plus I got to spend some quality time with my number one son, who reluctantly got up at five to go with me.

So the birding continues and it is starting to become a bit tiring; perhaps its the mad rush of the spring migration or its the frequent trips afield? On the other hand, I am getting a lot of good exercise and fresh air. And I still want to go out, so I guess there's that.

I also told Damon about our plans for a late December trip to Texas to see my cousin and so I can go to a conference. He seemed to take it well until he realized that meant I would be able to stack my year lists for both 2013 and 2014 with Texas birds. I guess it was a fairly transparent plan to begin with.

147 Bank Swallow 5/12/2013 Long Point Provincial Park, ON
148 Black-Throated Green Warbler 5/12/2013 Long Point Provincial Park, ON
149 Black Tern 5/13/2013 Lakefield Sewage Lagoons, Lakefield, ON
150 Bobolink 5/13/2013 Lakefield Sewage Lagoons, Lakefield, ON
151 Eastern Kingbird 5/15/2013 Rotary Trail, Trent University, Peterborough, ON
152 Cliff Swallow 5/16/2013 Rotary Trail, Trent University, Peterborough, ON
153 Semipalmated Plover 5/18/2013 Darlington Provincial Park, Oshawa, ON
154 Least Sandpiper 5/18/2013 Darlington Provincial Park, Oshawa, ON
155 Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher 5/18/2013 Darlington Provincial Park, Oshawa, ON
156 Indigo Bunting 5/18/2013 Darlington Provincial Park, Oshawa, ON
157 Eastern Bluebird 5/18/2013 Darlington Provincial Park, Oshawa, ON

Semipalmated Plover in the mourning light of Lake Ontario

Swamp Sparrow hanging out in a bush

Fuzzy photo of a Yellow-Rumped Warbler


No comments:

Post a Comment