Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Damon's Birds for the Week of May 5 - May 11

Ok, remember how I was hoping that I wouldn't be without internet for a long time? Well, my internet was turned out right away, but my computer and its desk was surrounded by boxes for a good week and only finally got cleared away and plugged in today.  Moving sucks.

I will make it up to you with a pretty damn good week of birding. Actually, it was only a pretty good day of birding, but dammit that was a good day.

But before I got to that day, I was just accidentally birding. You see, I was with my youngest son at Tyler Arboretum for a toddler program which had just finished. He wasn't really cooperating on the way out, dragging me along to the water fountain and then having to be dragged along to leave, when I looked into a group of low trees and got just a glimpse. It was a clear glimpse, though it was just an instant, but that instant was a clear view of a very distinctive Common Yellowthroat. Thankfully it wasn't some vireo that I would never be able to identify within a couple seconds.

My only other birding time was an actual birding day with actual birders! I went to Heinz Wildlife Refuge on Saturday and they were having bird counts all day for International Migratory Bird Day. That was good news because they were having an early group (at 7:00 a.m.), so I only had to wait an hour to meet up with people to go birding, but during that hour I saw a Veery and a bunch of conspicuous Baltimore Orioles.

The group was great, with some good birders that were also good company. No one even mentioned by bad binoculars either. When I had to leave the group at 11:00, they had over 60 species counted and were off to find some more. Overall, all the groups together found over 90 species that day, and I got a whole slew of new birds to my list (I never did see the Black-throated Green Warbler that the others saw and heard though).

105; Common Yellowthroat; 5/8/13; Tyler Aboretum; Media, PA
106; Veery; 5/11/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
107; Baltimore Oriole; 5/11/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
108; Ruby-throated Hummingbird; 5/11/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
109; Blackpoll Warbler; 5/11/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
110; Black-throated Blue Warbler; 5/11/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
111; Green Heron; 5/11/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
112; Least Flycatcher; 5/11/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
113; American Redstart; 5/11/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
114; Blackburnian Warbler; 5/11/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
115; Rose-breasted Grosbeak; 5/11/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
116; Eastern Wood Peewee; 5/11/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
117; Northern Parula; 5/11/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
118; Warbling Vireo; 5/11/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
119; Solitary Sandpiper; 5/11/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
120; Great Crested Flycatcher; 5/11/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
121; Pied Billed Grebe; 5/11/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA

No comments:

Post a Comment