Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Damon's Birds for the Week of February 24 - March 2

Sometimes I feel like I am falling behind Paul. Sure, the actual numbers of birds seem to indicate that is true, and sure the distance between us has changed from me ahead to me behind with an ever widening gap, but what am I to do? Should I sit idly by and watch a Canadian birder best an American? No, I must not.

But I have been busy this week. Yeah, I am always busy and all, but this week I had a lot of house buying activities that kept me busy in the actual sense as well as the mental sense. But, luckily all seems fine and I can stop obsessing over houses and go back to obsessing over birds.

My new house will probably not have enough trees to place the 14 feeders (including suet) that I used to put up when I lived in Kentucky (I had a pretty big yard with lots of trees there, but the downside was I lived in Kentucky). I'll still get my fair share of birds, but probably not the four types of woodpeckers that commonly visited in my old house.

There was a good sign when I went for the housing inspection; there were birds everywhere. Chickadees were going crazy (as they always do around here) and the cardinals were simulating a laser battle. I thought I saw a kestrel on a nearby wire, but it was just a puffed up mockingbird, and I definitely heard some grackles, but I can't be sure of the species. So, sadly, no new birds around my new house.

I really only got one new species last week, but I saw more bald eagles while working at the DuPont Environmental Education Center, and the day before I was working someone spotted a handful of birds that would be new on my list. Now if I can only get all the gull there to stand still for me to ID them.

40; Common Merganser; 2/24/2013; Christina River; Wilmington, DE

No comments:

Post a Comment