Monday, March 18, 2013

Week 11 Paul's Update

I have returned to Peterborough after several weeks of trips here and there. You might think this would slow my bird count down but, alas, spring migration is upon us which has allowed me to continue my accumulation of new bird sightings.

It started with a brief sighting of an American Tree Sparrow a week ago in my backyard and continued with several birds seen during an early morning birding outing on Thursday. I was accompanied by two experienced birders and after seeing a red-breasted nuthatch in their backyard, we went to Little Lake near downtown Peterborough. After seeing two new merganser species and the American Coot, we headed off south of the city. While driving we saw common grackles and my first red-winged blackbird of the year (more on these birds later). The tour of the countryside continued and the only other interesting bird we found was on the side of the road. It was a freshly killed Screech Owl with a mouse still in its talons. Damon and I didn't discuss how to deal with recently dead specimens but I decided it shouldn't be added to my list [Damon agrees].

Besides the several new birds, I got a first hand look at how 'real' birders actually bird and they showed me several promising locations that I filed away for future reference: The Peterborough Airport, a sod farm, a stormwater pond on the outskirts of town, a nice shallow wetland area. Thanks guys!

I also added three new birds yesterday during a trip to Presqu'ile Provincial Park, which will be chronicled in an upcoming blog. I will say that there were a lot of birds at the park yesteday...at least 3000-5000 thousand. It was really quite a sight.

Here are my birds of the week:

64 American Tree Sparrow 3/10/2013 My backyard, Peterborough, Ontario
65 Red-Breasted Nuthatch 3/14/2013 Gilmour Ave, Peterborough, Ontario
66 Common Merganser 3/14/2013 Little Lake, Peterborough, Ontario
67 Hooded Merganser 3/14/2013 Little Lake, Peterborough, Ontario
68 American Coot 3/14/2013 Little Lake, Peterborough, Ontario
69 Common Grackle 3/14/2013 South of Peterborough, Ontario
70 Red-Winged Blackbird 3/14/2013 South of Peterborough, Ontario
71 White-Winged Scoter 3/16/2013 Presqu'ile Provincial Park, Lake Ontario, Ontario
72 American Widgeon 3/16/2013 Presqu'ile Provincial Park, Lake Ontario, Ontario
73 Mute Swan 3/16/2013 Presqu'ile Provincial Park, Lake Ontario, Ontario

No comments:

Post a Comment