Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Week 9 Paul's Update

My bird list grew modestly this week with several birds seen during my trip to the Experimental Lakes Area and one new bird from the Peterborough area. As winter drags on into March here in Canada, I feel like I am playing a waiting game.

Take this morning as an example. I took the boys for a short drive up the Otonobee River and we kept close watch for birds for close to an hour. Mostly we saw crows, starlings, and a handful of goldeneyes; it is hard to keep the excitement alive with that type of activity. When will the migrants start arriving? And how long will I have before they either leave or there are too many leaves on the trees to see them? Good questions but anything will be better than the birdless barren landscape also known as Canada in the winter.

Well, not quite birdless because when we took a quick side-trip to the Trent University ERS bird feeder we finally saw the pine siskin (bird #56) that has been hanging out there most of the winter.

My birds for the week were:

52 Black-Billed Magpie 2/25/2013 Manitoba-Ontario Boarder
53 Grey Jay 2/25/2013 Experimental Lakes Area, ON
54 Ruffed Grouse 2/28/2013 Experimental Lakes Area, ON
55 American Three-Toed Woodpecker 3/1/2013 Experimental Lakes Area, ON
56 Pine Siskin 3/3/2013 Trent University, Peterborough, Ontario

No comments:

Post a Comment