Sunday, March 24, 2013

Week 12 Paul's Update

I had a pretty good week of bird watching. Last Sunday, I stopped by Little Lake near downtown Peterborough and spent some time looking for a black duck. I had seen them reported and knew they were around. Yep, there was one there hanging with the mallards. On Thursday it got a lot better. I added a trumpeter swan, bald eagle, merlin, and northern harrier. That was quite a collection of sightings and to top it off I added a tundra swan the following day.

Today, I stopped by Little Lake again as I had seen recent reports of a ring-necked duck. This was an easy find; I drove up, scanned the lake for less than 10 seconds, and spotted the RND right there. So for the week I added seven birds:

74 American Black Duck 3/17/2013 Little Lake, Peterborough, Ontario
75 Trumpeter Swan 3/21/2013 Ontonobee River, Peterborough, Ontario
76 Bald Eagle 3/21/2013 Ontonobee River, Lakefield, Ontario
77 Merlin 3/21/2013 Little Lake Cemetery, Peterborough, Ontario
78 Northern Harrier 3/21/2013 DNA Bldg, Trent University, Peterborough, Ontario
79 Tundra Swan 3/22/2013 Ontonobee River, Lakefield, Ontario
80 Ring-Necked Duck 3/23/2013 Little Lake, Peterborough, Ontario

As we end the first 1/4 of the year, I also thought I would quickly show the progression of my birding total as it looks through time. As you can, my total has be going up steadily over the past few weeks after long stagnant periods in January and February with a big jump due to my Grand Isle adventure. It will be interesting to see how the rate of bird sightings change once all the birds come back and its warmer outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment