Monday, April 1, 2013

Damon's Birds for the Week of 24 - March 30

This week was a bit of a slow week for birding because my kids had spring break (kids ruin everything) and I had other things going on, so it was very hectic and I had little time to go birding during the week. Oh, I did drag my kids to Heinz Wildlife Refuge for an hour or so, but it was a little cold and my kids weren't that interested in not whining. I did see a Brown Headed Cowbird at the feeders there. Great, I go to a wildlife refuge to see a freaking cowbird.
I went back on Saturday morning for some birding all by myself and spent the whole morning walking around similar to my other visit. It was such a nice day (it got to the 60s, take that Canada!) and the bald eagles and osprey were showing themselves every now and then (which, of course, I already have) and I added to my "brown" theme week and got a Brown Creeper. I also got a Marsh Wren, which is a rare sighting according to eBird (I'm sure they won't believe me) and was the first sighting marked on their sighting chart this month. I am kicking Paul's ass in wrens! Oh yeah, and I saw the Great Horned Owl (and their nest), but still now Saw Whet Owl and that time may have just passed.

Dang, I did not catch Paul yet, but it will happen soon! Oh, sure, he keeps getting birds and goes to places that have other types of birds and the deck is stacked against me, but April will be the month where I pass him. I have confidence!

71; Brown Headed Cowbird; 3/28/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
72; Brown Creeper; 3/30/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
73; Great Horned Owl; 3/30/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA
74; Marsh Wren; 3/30/13; John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge; Philadelphia, PA

No comments:

Post a Comment