Monday, April 29, 2013

Week 17 Paul's Update (With More Photos)

I had a fairly slow week of birding. While it is definitely spring here now, the migration seems to be only slowly arriving. There are reports of new birds everyday and even some rare bird sightings (a Worm-eating Warbler...really?) but I always seem to be day late and a dollar short. Oh well, I am getting out and enjoying nature! I have had several recent walks around the woods/swamp behind my house before 7 a.m., which is a really nice way to wake up and I can't believe how many different species can be found back there. On a typical morning I can see 20+ species with the occasional new bird.

My new birds of the weeks included Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs which I saw wading around a flooded pasture, and a Wilson's snipe and pine warbler behind my house. I also went on another day to Second Marsh but didn't see any new species. I did, however, take a few photos.

Brown-Headed Cowbird looking for its next victim.
Blue-Winged Teal
Northern Shoveler
And here are a couple more photos of birds that I saw in my backyard.

Great Blue Heron
American Goldfinch

122 Greater Yellowlegs 4/25/2013 3rd Line, Duoro, ON
123 Lesser Yellowlegs 4/25/2013 3rd Line, Duoro, ON
124 Great-Horned Owl 4/25/2013 Tree near Trent University, Peterborough, ON
125 Wilson's Snipe 4/26/2013 Loggerhead Marsh, Peterborough, ON
126 Pine Warbler 4/26/2013 Loggerhead Marsh, Peterborough, ON

No comments:

Post a Comment