Monday, February 4, 2013

Week 5 Paul's Update

I concentrated my efforts this week on the bird feeder by the Environmental Sciences building at Trent University. I had heard a rumor of an exotic visitor and wanted to see it for myself. Instead, I saw goldfinches, nuthatches, juncos, chickadees and lots of house sparrows.

Well, I had to see the bird feeder birds at some point. I also had two pileated woodpeckers fly over me while I was driving to school and an exciting run in with some robins at the park. There aren't actually a lot of robins around here in the winter so this was more surprising than it may sound. And finally I added a bird that I had been hoping to see for the last month.

I saw a flock of birds near the river as I was leaving Trent and wondered what they might be. I drove over to the tree where they alighted and, to my disbelief, the birds sat there and let me get a good look. They were Bohemian waxwings. They come to southern Ontario sometimes in the winter and love to sit in trees and eat frozen berries. Bird #28.


23; Pileated Woodpecker; 1/29/2013; Water Street near Trent, Peterborough, Ontario
24; American Goldfinch; 1/30/2013; Trent University, Peterborough, Ontario
25; White Breasted Nuthatch; 1/31/2013; Trent University, Peterborough, Ontario
26; Dark Eyed Junco; 1/31/2013; Trent University, Peterborough, Ontario
27; American Robin; 2/2/2013; Jackson Creek Park, Peterborough, Ontario
28; Bohemian Waxwing; 2/2/2013; Ontonobee River, Peterborough, Ontario

Bohemian Waxwings near Trent University

2 comments:

  1. Oh, more pictures are on the way from both of us, we try to post at least something daily. I'm fond of photoessays, but mine are all from America so they might be confusing to Canadians.

    ReplyDelete